[Tlhingan-hol] Do you, personally, accept non-Okrandian Klingon?

PICHLMANN Christoph Christoph.PICHLMANN at agrana.com
Mon Mar 18 02:52:11 PDT 2013

I would accept new words that came from the KLI or are approved by them.

I don't doubt that there are authors who will invest a lot of time into the creation of words - but unless someone I know vouches for them, I have no way of knowing so.

We have seen what happens if random authors create "klingon" words in the TV series. There needs to be a central authority - Okrand, or the KLI, but accept words that "someone" created will lead to chaos.

Also, though this is an even more personal opinion, it will devalue the language, as it would appear as a "free for all" pseudo-language where anyone can create new words on the fly.
(Call it elitism, if you like, but I think the idea that there is a central governance that regulates new words is an advantage for a language.)

OTOH, if the author were to invent some fictional region where the words are slang, I might not mind. I don't consider slang words to be part of the language anyway. (At least those tagged with "regional".)

Christoph

Message: 1