[Tlhingan-hol] "Kindness is Magic"

Rohan Fenwick qeslagh at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 7 21:28:26 PDT 2013

tlhobpu' De'vID, jatlh:
> How would you translate this phrase, from Ricky Gervais' show "Derek"?

I wouldn't - not without some supporting context, at least. More specifically, since we lack lexemes for both concepts, the original context is instructive here:

"She said 'Kindness is magic, Derek. It's more important to be kind than clever or good looking.'"

The general sentiment would be well captured as {nIv batlh} "honour is best". As in, {batlh potlh law' Sov parmaq je potlh puS} "honour is more important than knowledge or romance". I think a Klingon would consider acting honourably towards someone to be the kindest way of treating them.

jang Alex, jatlh:
> {qa' HoS ghajlu'ghach 'oH vaQHa'lu'ghach'e'} perhaps?
> If it grates, it's the concepts that are grating, not the grammar.

There's one grammar point that I do find grating here: the use of {-lu'} with {-ghach}. {-ghach} nouns don't generally take subjects or objects anyway, so it seems to me that the sole purpose for {-lu'} being there is to dodge the markedness of {-ghach} on a bare verb root.

QeS