[Tlhingan-hol] sentence with multiple beneficiaries

Rohan Fenwick qeslagh at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 7 00:05:59 PDT 2013

tlhob De'vID, jatlh:
> How would you render "say 'something' to him for me"?

This particular instance I would render as:

jIHvo' ghaHvaD yIjatlh <wab>.
Say "blah" to him from me.

> I suppose where 'something' = 'hi', I can get away with {jIHvaD ghaH
> yIvan}, but more generally? Does {-mo'} feel right for this usage,
> e.g., {jIHmo' ghaHvaD vay' yIjatlh}?

It feels weird to me; not ungrammatical, and it does communicate the meaning more generally, but it's still a little odd. Because of the vagaries of English (!) I can't satisfactorily explain why for the positive version, but to take the negative version of your sentence, I would translate {jIHmo' ghaHvaD vay' yIjatlhQo'} as English "don't say anything to him on my account": in other words, the implication that the saying something to him is specifically "for me" or "for my benefit" is absent.

QeS