[Tlhingan-hol] Cable, Thread, Wire, Web

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Jun 3 07:16:16 PDT 2013

{mIr}                "chain"
{tlhegh}            "line, rope
{SIrgh}             "string, thread, filament"

KGT 76:  Each string is a {SIrgh}, a word also used for any thread or filament. A {SIrgh} of the finest quality is made from a material secreted by insects, similar to the silk produced by silkworms.

*{SIrghpat [Qatlh]} "[complex, (intricate?)] cobweb"??  To be clear you can always preface it with {ghew} "bug, insect".

As for metals, the late Glen Proechel used *{baS qIj} for iron ("black metal"), *{baS Doq} for copper ("red metal"), and *{baS SuD} for brass ("yellow/green metal").

GILGAMESH used *{baS wagh} for gold, silver, etc. ("precious metal").  I imagine this would include latinum.

Other options: *{baS chIS} "white metal", *{baS boch} "shiny metal", *{baS wov} "light/bright metal", etc.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

From: Fiat Knox [mailto:fiat_knox at yahoo.co.uk]

SIrgh gets the job done.
But "web" as in "cobweb," I still need. And does anyone have a translation for "silver?"
For that matter, how about "gold" and "copper?" "baS SuD" and "baS Doq" respectively perhaps?

From: Felix Malmenbeck <felixm at kth.se<mailto:felixm at kth.se>>

I wonder if <SIrgh> might not be more appropriate. <'ul QaymeH SIrgh> for a power wire, maybe <jabbI'ID SIrgh> for data lines...

From: Fiat Knox [fiat_knox at yahoo.co.uk<mailto:fiat_knox at yahoo.co.uk>]

Wondering about how to describe the word "wire" into Klingon, I found myself thinking *baS tlhegh* /metal line/.

The word tlhegh naturally led to *tlhegh'a'* for /cable, hawser,/ *baS tlhegh'a'* for /metal cable, hawser/ and *tlheghHom* for /thread, strand./

But then I ran up against /web./

Perhaps *tlheghHom jonwI'* could be what I'm looking for?

Further: has anyone translated "silver?" I want to use the phrase "silver cord."