[Tlhingan-hol] bop mu'mey

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Wed Jul 31 03:05:41 PDT 2013

On 2013-07-30, at 23:15, "Bellerophon, modeler" <bellerophon.modeler at gmail.com> wrote:

> I attempted a translation of a song that needs to be in Klingon. Let's see if anyone recognizes it. I took some artistic license:

Artistic license is when you translate English with a valid word that means something else. Making noun-verb compounds or using a word as the wrong part of speech is just abuse.

> I coined "chu'pawwI"

Your meaning is covered without grammatical error by pawwI' chu' - one who arrives and who is new. Also:
chu'wI' - one who is new
taghwI' - beginner
chu'chu'wI' - complete newbie

> for newcomer, which is close to the word in the English title, and used "ped" as a noun.

ped is nothing. peD is a verb.

> I committed other crimes to try to fit the meter, and there will always be typos.

The issue here is what do you want us to do about it? I'm happy to help someone write clearer, more grammatical Klingon, but when he says, "look at this thing I did, I know it's wrong, I did that on purpose," what is the point? I'll try to guess what you don't know and say what it means to me as I read it.

> chu'pawwI' bop

pawwI' chu' bop
It is about the new arrival.

> chuch ped

chuch peD je - it also snows ice

> puHvo' ramjep
> pemHovvo'
> SoDtaH

From the land, from the midnight daytime star (we have a word jul now for sun, but I just figured out from the English term that you might mean "from the land of the midnight sun"). Create your noun-noun grouping first, then put -vo' on the final element.

ramjep jul puH - midnight sun land

ramjep jul puHvo' SoDtaH - It floods from the midnight sun land

A noun with -Daq or -vo' goes at the beginning of its clause, so when I see one in the middle of a sentence without a conjunction or punctuation, I get confused. I'm inserting sentence breaks where that happens.

> bIQHalmey tujDaq maghoS maH.

I'm okay with bIQHalmey tuj for hot springs, but bIHDaq maghoS means that we proceed already in them. You probably want bIH DIghoS, we go to them.

> puHmeyDaQ

DaQ is ponytail. I know you mean "-Daq."

> Dujmeymaj yuv Qunpu' mupwI',

So, "the gods' hammer pushes our ships to lands," Or maybe "on the lands"

> novghom'a' wISuvmo',

because we fight an alien horde.

> wIbomtaH, wIjachtaH: Suto'vo'qor, jIghoStaH!

We sing it, we scream it, Valhalla, I'm coming.

> DonchuqtaH maH,

We go parallel to one another, (don't forget the prefix on maDon)

> moqtaH bI'wI'mo'. wa' ngoQmaj 'oHbej puH Hop'e'.

because our oars beat. (I like that one, given the ship context, bI'wI' is understandable as oar. Distant land is definitely one of our goals.

> tunqu' bIH yotlhmey SuDqu''e'.

The green fields are so soft.

> 'Iwmo' lutmey tlhuplaH bIH,

They can whisper songs because of blood.

> veS yu'eghmey DIjotmoHta' 'e'.

We have calmed the waves of warfare. (no idea what that 'e' is trying to do)

> joHpu'raj joHpu' maH.

We are the lords of your lords.

> DaH SumevnIS tlhiH 'ej pIghraj bochenqa',

You must stop now and you will  -- okay you're going for "rebuild your ruins." The subject of chen is the thing that takes form. With another actor, use chenmoH. pIghraj bochenqa'moH makes me first think of building new ruins. Is that an idiom in English?

> 'ach wa'leS lutlhlaH roj voq ej, 'ach jajvam SulujtaH.

But tomorrow the peace can be primitive ... and he trusts it? ('ej is in the wrong place) .. but this day you are losing.

So from context it's a Viking song, but I don't know it.

People always feel compelled to translate songs, and are often affronted when we beg them to walk before they run, but there we are.

qep'a'Daq qaqIH 'e' vItIv. wa' nem qaStaHvIS wanI' naQ bISaH 'e' vItul.

And 'angghal seemed to think you owed him money.

- Qov