[Tlhingan-hol] Soul Sister

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Thu Jan 31 12:10:40 PST 2013

On 1/31/2013 2:56 PM, Robyn Stewart wrote:

> I'd be comfortable saying that if chaj is her name, men can call her
> that. It's loosely analogous to men calling each other "buddy" in a
> friendly way but if my mother calls a tow truck driver that (she does,
> it's hilarious), she means "hey you dork who is about to tow my car!"

And "Buddy" can also be a name; calling him "Buddy" to his face does not
imply that he's your friend.

> I think  chaj is a pretty good name, and better than qa' be'nI'.  A
> heads up that it's going to get misspelled Chaj, and mispronounced chai.

Agreed, it's pretty much what the person requested. Also stress that the
{a} is like the "a" in "father," not "apple," and that the {j} is like
the "j" in "jump," not "zh" or, as Qov points out, "y."

http://www.trimboli.name/