[Tlhingan-hol] 'arDIch

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Sun Jan 27 08:44:43 PST 2013

On 1/27/2013 5:22 AM, Felix Malmenbeck wrote:

>> The issue is that "alright" is not considered a real word in
>> standardEnglish.
>
> Looking into it, I'm not sure I'd agree with you on that; it seems
> most dictionaries (such as the OED, Merriam-Webster, the Collins English
> Dictionary, the American Heritage Dictionary) have no real qualms with
> it, but advise against using it in formal writing.
>
> I personally tend to use "alright" to mean "satisfactory" or "okay",
> while opting for "all right" when intended as an intensifier ("Oh,
> you'll be there, all right!").
> Thanks for the heads up, though; now I know to avoid "alright" in
> formal writing :)

As J.R.R. Tolkien might have said, as a word, "alright" is uncouth.

"Alright" is growing in use due to the number of bad spellers on the
Internet. As more and more people spell "all right" wrong, "alright"
will become a real word.

I believe that the ubiquitous presence of the Internet if our lives has
accelerated the appearance and acceptance of new words. This doesn't
make the new words any less uncouth.

And let's not forget punctuation. Someday ":)" may be considered actual
punctuation, taught in schools.

http://www.trimboli.name/