[Tlhingan-hol] "where are you from?"

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 11:38:55 PST 2013

De'vID wrote:
>> I'm putting together a list of "Beginner's Conversation" sentences that
>> people can use at qepHom/'a'.
>>
>> Aside from the usual "what's your name?" and so on, I was trying to
>> render "where are you from?"
>>[...]

SuStel:
> nuq DaDab
> where do you live?
>
> What's the difference between "where are you from?" and "where do you
live?" if you're not talking about your history or ancestors?

qaStaHvIS qep'a' qepHom joq motlh mebpa'mey Dab jeSwI'pu'.

{nuq DaDab?} - likely reply is "Best Western" or whatever

I know you'll probably point out the difference between {nuq DaDab?}
(general truth) and {nuq DaDabtaH?} (continuous aspect) but remember this
is aimed at beginners.

I want to differentiate "where are you staying?" from "where did you arrive
from?"