[Tlhingan-hol] Sunlight and Starlight

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Mon Aug 19 06:54:25 PDT 2013

On 2013-08-19, at 6:36, "Bellerophon, modeler" <bellerophon.modeler at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 9:12 AM, Robyn Stewart <robyn at flyingstart.ca> wrote:
>> <'e' munargh> vIparbej.
>>
>> There's a 1st person object prefix with a 3rd person object and a directly translated English idiom when there's a far better Klingon tool.
>>
>> DaHjaj ram peDlaw' maSwov.
> Yes, nargh is intransitive if used like English "appear," and although I seem to recall a backdoor way to use prefixes to indicate dative where there is also an accusative object (or was it vice versa?),

Yes, but in that that sentence it's ugly, unnecessary and sound like a machine trying to render English in Klingon. You were specifically in search of a Klingon poetic statement about moonlight.

> mu- isn't the same as jIHvaD.

In the "prefix trick" construction you sought, it is.

> Using -law' one might also wish to use a construction like jIHvaD to say something like "it looks that way to me."

That's what -law' means. It's a statement about the speaker's certainty. TKD 4.2.6.