[Tlhingan-hol] Sunlight and Starlight

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Sun Aug 18 08:50:21 PDT 2013

On 8/18/2013 10:49 AM, Bellerophon, modeler wrote:
> I'm no canon authority, but I've noticed other compound words that
> strongly imply additional vocabulary.
>
> Klingons may not make a fetish of logic, but they don't abandon
> it completely like humans.

Languages are usually logical, but often the logic of language is not
obvious. The details are usually buried in history.

Perhaps there once was a noun *{wov} that meant "light," and that noun
formed genitive constructions like *{maS wov}, *{jul wov}, and *{Hov
wov}. For some reason, however, the noun *{wov} disappeared from the
language, or became technical jargon. The construct *{maS wov}, however,
stuck around, perhaps as part of a saying or a famous line of
literature, but since it no longer made sense as a genitive construct,
it began to be interpreted as a single word: {maSwov}. If all this were
true, it would mean that *{julwov} and *{Hovwov} are NOT words as yet
undiscovered by Federation linguists, and it would be wrong to assume
their existence.

Etymology!

http://www.trimboli.name/