[Tlhingan-hol] A few questions about grammar re: adverbials, noun-like words

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Tue Apr 23 14:29:57 PDT 2013

1)  From paq'batlh, paq'raD, Canto 8, Stanza 11:

jatlh ‘e’ mevDI’ qeylIS, lop

chaq tugh batlh Heghmo’

‘ej chaq tugh charghmo’

After Kahless's words, they celebrate,
For they may soon die with honor!
For they may soon be victorious!

Another example is from paq'batlh, paq'raD, Canto 17, Stanza 11:

reH batlh SuvtaHjaj chaH

Let endless battle and honor await them!

...and another, in paq'batlh, paq'raD, Canto 23, Stanza 3:

Hay’chu’ luneHqu’

vaj pe’vIl joqqu’

cha’ tlhIngan tIqDu’

Both Klingon hearts beat,
At their strongest,
In lust for blood.

...and I believe there are plenty more examples.

2) Epithets like petaQ appear to function as ordinary nouns. paq'batlh contains petaQ'e', petaQ'a', petaQvam and petaQmey.

Names also seem to be able to take at least some noun suffixes. paq'batlh gives us qeylIS'e' and qeylISma'.

Hoch and latlh are marked as nouns in TKD.
HochHom is a standard expression, usually translated as "most" or "greater part". paq'batlh also gives us HochvaD and Hoch'e'.
latlhpu' has also been used in canon. http://klingonska.org/canon/search/?file=1997-06-holqed-06-2.txt&get=source

I have no idea about numbers. TKD tells us

Numbers are used as nouns. As such, they may stand alone
as subjects or objects or they may modify another noun.

However, this may simply be referring to the fact that they can act as stand-alone subjects and objects.
paq'batlh mentions SaD law' to mean "thousands", which is very "noun:ish" of SaD.
My feeling is it should be fine, but I'm far from certain.