[Tlhingan-hol] Dothraki nugh vIghal

PICHLMANN Christoph Christoph.PICHLMANN at agrana.com
Fri Apr 12 01:54:52 PDT 2013

>Message: 5
>Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 08:24:31 -0400
>From: David Trimboli <david at trimboli.name>
>To: tlhingan-hol at stodi.digitalkingdom.org
>Subject: Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Dothraki nugh vIghal
>
>For anyone else to have this authority, Okrand must transfer this
>fiction. He must announce that someone else has gained contact with
>Maltz or another Klingon, and that new party must continue the fiction
>that they are getting their information from their Klingon informant.
I agree.

>> Would you accept/want a central authority at all, for that matter? If
>> not - what else? The only alternative to a central authority I see
>> would be anyone making up words and grammar as they like.
>There's another alternative you apparently haven't considered: that
>nobody declares themselves a word-sovereign, and that everyone study the
>language provided instead of inventing it themselves. This is what the
>KLI has done for decades.
That is what I mean by central authority. One source of the language, many studying/using it.
If there is none, I doubt that everyone (or even a majority) would be content to just use the language instead of trying to invent new words.

>Spoken language is not software; I reject this comparison. Do you think
>the world would be better off if everyone spoke the SAME language?
I think the principle at work is similar.
Anyway, I don't think the world would be worse off if everyone spoke the same language, but I don't think it would be of any benefit if there are deviations of a language that are mutually incomprehensible, due to different words and grammar.
Once they reach that point, they should be considered different languages, IMO. I wouldn't want klingon to go that way.

Christoph