[Tlhingan-hol] Dothraki nugh vIghal

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Thu Apr 11 05:12:20 PDT 2013

On 4/11/2013 6:25 AM, Lieven Litaer wrote:
> In this point, I have always regarded the KLI with too much respect
> apparently, focussing on it being the major Klingon Institute. I was
> wrong on that point.

Major, yes, official, no. Prominence does not equal authority. And it's
not a question of respect; I do not disrespect something simply because
it's not official.

> Anyway, I would still like the KLI to be the official thing! :-P
> If there might ever be something official, I certainly has to be the
> KLI, and Iwould also use new created words by any officially declared
> club, as long as it follows the basics created by Okrand and is approved
> by him.

If Okrand is required to approve new words, then it's not the KLI that
has authority over the language.

The KLI has, in the form of its qep'a' wish list, requested vocabulary
of Okrand. It does not offer him new words; it asks if he has a word for
such-and-such. The KLI is not exclusive in this: other groups and people
have asked him for words, and he has obliged.

>  > Certainly not! The KLI does not own a trademark on the word.
> Maybe not, but everyone who knows that word, does (should) know that
> it's the KLI meeting.
> Don't you think people might be confused if I announce this year's
> qep'a' being held in november?

Possibly. But someone choosing a confusing name is hardly a reason to
impose regulation on the language.

http://www.trimboli.name/