[Tlhingan-hol] Dothraki nugh vIghal

jrel_kor at juno.com jrel_kor at juno.com
Tue Apr 9 22:17:14 PDT 2013

David Trimboli wrote:

> To create an "unstuck" Klingon, what I called a "Living Klingon," you

> need a language-using community, not talk *about* the language.

     This is why I am beginning to teach my "Ship" (Chapter of KAG) the Klingon Language. I am going to be doing my best to do so. I am not perfect, however as time goes on, I will get better along with them. I am one of about three in the Atlanta area who knows Klingon well enough to teach and do minor translations. I am hoping to do a whole lot more in the coming months and years.

     I for one DO consider the KLI as the definitive source of all things Klingon Language. Although, I am going to come up with my own Klingon-esque words for words that I cannot find in any of the resources that I have or know about until I find out otherwise from the KLI or someone affiliated with them that there is another word out there (occasionally only!). Marc Okrand (the man who developed the Klingon language and a language scholar to boot) is a member of the KLI and is responsible for the creation of new Klingon words. This is why I am going to listen to the KLI when it comes to "how to speak" Klingon. It is ridiculous to do otherwise. If you are going to speak, read, or write Klingon, do it right! If you start just willy-nilly making up words, how is everyone else to know what you are saying? Is that not what school is for, to teach everyone the same language so that we are all on the same page? (pardon the pun) I feel that we all need to learn the Klingon language as it was intended in TKD and only then slowly start to make our own words. sharing them as their made so that we all can learn and use them as long as there is a consensus. perhaps we need a council or some such body to be able to say "Yay" or "Nay" on these potential new words that we as Klingon speakers make up. Perhaps an e-group dedicated to the process of ratifying new words is in order. Just throwing out ideas here, but in order to prevent further civil unrest here and potentially war by the sounds of the banter, some fair ideas to be sure.

     I hope this e-mail gets through this time and I hope that this will be taken into consideration by all parties involved so that this group doesn't splinter and fall apart, as I have seen so many other groups do in the past in similar situations!

Qapla' juppu'wI'

Delton Wilson
*j'rel Kor
Lt. Col. in KAG and CO of the KPV Battle Fury
Klingon Language Instructor
betleH Drill Team Instructor