[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: net

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Apr 9 07:20:10 PDT 2013

> Klingon word: net
> Part of speech: pro
> Definition: that (previous topic)

  qama'pu' DIHoH net Sov
  One knows we kill prisoners. TKD

  Qu'vaD lI' net tu'bej
  One certainly finds it useful for the mission. TKD

  Qu'vaD lI' net tu'bej
  You will find it useful. ST3

  vImuHlu' net wuqHa'
  My death sentence was commuted! (ENT "Affliction")

  neHmaH Da'el net tu'
  Caught breaching the Neutral Zone. MKE

  Duj ghajchugh pagh, beylI'vo' 'oH Daje' net chaw'
  If [ship is] unowned, you may buy it from the Bank. MKE

TKD 65f.:  Klingon has two special pronouns, {'e'} and {net}, which refer to the previous sentence as a whole. They are used primarily, though not exclusively, with verbs of thinking or observation (such as know, see). They are always treated as the object of the verb, and the verb always takes a prefix indicating a third-person singular object. What is a single sentence in English is often two sentences in Klingon. {net} is used only under special circumstances, but {'e'} is common...
  In complex sentences of this type, the second verb never takes an aspect suffix. (section 4.2.7) When the verb of the second sentence has a third-person subject (that is, the pronominal prefix is 0) but the intended meaning is one or someone, rather than he, she, it, or they, net is used instead of {'e'}.
  {qama'pu' DIHoH net Sov} "One knows we kill prisoners"
... the first sentence here is {qama'pu' DIHoH} "We kill prisoners". The second sentence is {net Sov} "One knows that." The full construction implies that it is common knowledge that the group to which the speaker belongs kills prisoners.
  {Qu'vaD lI' net tu'bej} "One certainly finds it useful for the mission."
The first part of this example is {Qu'vaD lI'} "It is useful for the mission." The second part is {net tu'bej} "One certainly finds that" or "One certainly observes that". The full construction might also be translated "One will certainly observe that it is useful to the mission". Note that although the word "will" makes a more flowing translation, there is nothing in the Klingon sentence indicating future tense.

TKD 66f.  When the verb of the second sentence is {neH} "want", neither {'e'} nor {net} is used, but the construction is otherwise identical to that just described.
  {jIQong vIneH}  I want to sleep.
  {qalegh vIneH}  I want to see you.
  {Dalegh vIneH}  I want you to see him.

--