[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: nej

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Sep 26 06:50:06 PDT 2012

As usual, thanks for looking these up in the paq'batlh for us.  A couple of notes for those keeping track:

{chal}  "heavens" (n)

First official use with this gloss, although others have used it so for years.  Cf. William Shatner's novel "The Ashes of Eden":  {Chalchaj 'qmey} [sic!] "The Children of Heaven" (i.e. "an archaic form of the sky's offspring").

{wutlh} "underground" (n)

First use anywhere in canon AFAIK.  Although Shatner used it in his novel as well:

  "This world is not {chalchaj}. It is {chalwutlh}. The underground, not heaven." (AOE)

{HopHa'}  (v)

  Daq HopHa'Daq  "not far away"

A new form.  Interesting use of {-Ha'}; I would have expected {Hopbe'}.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons