[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: nej

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Tue Sep 25 16:15:27 PDT 2012

paq'batlh contains one use of {nej} which I find particularly interesting:

yor nej qeylIS mIn
"Kahless looks up"
[paq'batlh, paq'raD, Canto 18, Stanza 6]

Others are the one you mentions, as well as the following (// marks a line break):

chalDaq DapawmeH // wutlhDaq bInejnIS
"To reach the heavens, // You must seek underground,"
[paq'batlh, paq'yav, Canto 10, Stanza 7]

Daq HopHa’Daq // qa’chaj nejlI’ // qotar qempa’QeH je
"Not far away, // Kotar and his Qempa'keh, // Are in search for their souls."
[paq'batlh, paq'raD, Canto 9, Stanza 1]

[[Re: Qempa'QeH - For those who do not recognize this term, these are described thusly in the book:
"The Qempa'keh (Qempa'QeH) are the enraged (QeH) ancestral spirits (qempa') populating Gre'thor."
Don't know if Okrand approved this footnote, but it seems safe to assume that he approved the word.
It's always spelled with a capital Q at the beginning, by the way; uncertain if that's a mistake or not.]]