[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: bot

Seruq seruq at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 10 22:56:34 PDT 2012

> ghItlhpu' DloraH, jatlh:
> > It might not be canon, but how can we forget its use in
> > that popular song about the revolt:
>
> > ro', ro', ro' yIbot...
>
> Hee hee. Seqram mentioned it at qep'a'. For those unfamiliar,
> if I'm remembering it right:
>
> ro', ro', ro' yIbot,
> jItlheD; Daw' nguSDI'.
> marI'lI', marI'lI', marI'lI', marI'lI',
> lay' veS; bang DaghIm.
>
> Also not canon but commonly used is {botwI'} "blocker", which
> is the usual tlhIngan Hol name for the Blockader piece in Klin Zha.
>
> QeS

The version I have is:

ro', ro', ro' yIbot.
jenlI' Daw' DeS, rIn.
marI'lI' marI'lI' marI'lI' marI'lI'
lay'vIS jaS tay', rIn.

It came with this explanation:

This traditional tune is about lovers who fight the same revolution, though in different battles.
The Fist is, of course, the establishment against which they are revolting. They are communicating
in the midst of battle over their personal communicators and at the end, they clip the "we" prefix
off the verb, since battle becomes heated. They want to be together as lovers, but they consider
their loyalty to the common cause to be a different way of being together. Also, note that this song
comes from the same region of the empire as the general in ST5 who uttered the line about it being
better to die on our feet than on our knees. They don't necessarily use {-taH} with {-vIS}. And so:
<<<

I don't remember who wrote it.

- DloraH