[Tlhingan-hol] Bad Klingon in Trek novels (and the like)

Klingonteacher levinius at gmx.de
Mon Sep 3 04:52:20 PDT 2012

Hi there, you angry arse!

;-) I'm just kidding, of course, and I understand your anger.

I also feel like I'm in the "duty" of teaching good Klingon, and I keep
correcting people about anything what's wrong, especially with klingon.
But it's really hard in a chat/twitter-mode, because you cannot really
"talk" to convince people.
I would have done exactly the same you did, but I would have asked for a
proof instead of just insisting that you're right.

A german proverb says "Der Klügere gibt nach", which suggests to smart
people to back off and stop arguing with stupid people. The problem is
otoh, if the smart stop arguing, the stupid will rule te world. :-)

Am 11.08.2012 00:31, schrieb Felix Malmenbeck:
> You can see the full fall-out here, if you're interested:
> http://people.kth.se/~felixm/KlingonBible2.png

Yes, intersting, indeed :-)

> 2) To ask the question: When is it worth pointing out misunderstandings about Klingon?

Make a difference between who says it where. Don't bother about some
teenager talking nonsense at youtube, but I would stand up and fight to
death if there is a linguistics professor at harvard university teaching
wrong Klingon (!)  :-D

> ...and 3) To ask the more personal question: WAS I being an arse?

No, but he was just annoyed by you and maybe even embarassed that there
was somebody who did know the truth, while he thought he knew something
"really cool" to show to his friends!

It's really parallel to the 200 words for snow story whre some stupid
annoying nitpicker jumps in and says "no, that's wrong". Do you know
Sheldon Cooper??  ;-)

Greetings,
   Lieven.

--