[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Doq 'ej wovbe'

André Müller esperantist at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 08:58:59 PDT 2012

To me, it's not important if the definition of the WotD says it should
necessarily be based on an English word or on a Klingon word with the gloss
in the respective other language. Isn't it more like a lexical entry, a
lexeme, than a word in the narrow sense? Depending on how a dictionary is
structured internally, something like "Red Army" and its German translation
"Rote Armee" can be seen as one lexeme each, composed of two words.
So technically, what is shown in the word of the day, isn't a word in the
narrow sense, but rather a lexical entry. Some phrases are indeed that much
lexicalized that it makes absolute sense to list them as one entry, even
though they really behave like two (or three or more) single words. The
part of speech being "verb" is indeed an unlucky choice, but I don't think
that {Doq 'ej wovbe'} is a bad choice for the word of the day, which I – as
I said – understand like lexeme of the day (but that sounds weird). I see
no problem with that. And it *is* useful for people who perhaps know all
the single morphemes {Doq}, {'ej}, {wov} and {-be'} but who do not know
that this happens to be one of the canonical ways one can use to express
"brown".

- André