[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: pon

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Sun Oct 7 03:46:22 PDT 2012

> How would you interpret {ponlu'}?

It's tempting to interpret it as "One's convinced that ...", as in {puvlaH targhmey [ghaHvaD] 'e' ponlu'.} ("He/She is convinced that targs can fly.")
However, I'm guessing that only works in the most literal sense: In English (and in Swedish, and probably lots of other related languages), saying "I'm convinced that..." is basically a way of saying "I'm very certain that...", even if no act of convincing played a prominent role in your coming to that certainty. So for that, I suppose you might use {Harchu'} or {Sovchu'}. {Sovbej} was used in ST:VI, and I suppose that might make sense in some contexts.

So, {puvlaH targhmey [ghaHvaD] 'e' ponlu'.} would probably mean "There occurs an act of convincing, making somebody more certain than before that targs can fly."