[Tlhingan-hol] Trains

Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh qeslagh at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 22 14:53:51 PST 2012

ghItlhpu' Felix, jatlh:
> I believe this was first seen in paq'batlh, with the phrase {lujang maS’e’ loQ So’be’bogh QIb lurur} ("They reply, shaped as the crescent moon.")
> This phrase rather interestignly shows {loQ} coming after the object; not sure if that's allowed because of the -'e', or some undiscovered grammatical rule, or just fancy language.

This has been rehashed several times on the list; this very pattern is explicitly discussed in the TKD Addendum, section 6.8.

As for "undiscovered grammatical rule", my personal belief is that the pattern can be simply interpreted using rules we already have. I think {loQ} can come after the object here because {-'e'} is a Type 5 suffix, and like all nouns with Type 5 suffixes (see TKD section 6.1), it is possible to put an {-'e'}-marked noun in the so-called "header" position, at the beginning of the sentence: cf. {qIbDaq SuvwI''e' SoH Dun law' Hoch Dun puS} "you would be the greatest warrior in the galaxy" from, I believe, ST5.

QeS