[Tlhingan-hol] "Never give up; never surrender"

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Wed May 30 12:39:29 PDT 2012

On 5/28/2012 3:15 PM, lojmIt tI'wI' nuv wrote:

> What would you think of {Qu''e' lI'be' De'}?
>
> That sets the context of the usefulness of the information without
> banging heads over syntactic vs. semantic beneficiary status.

I resist relying too heavily on using {-'e'} this way, because the tie
between topic and the rest of the sentence is not strong.

You can imagine the topic being asked about by a second person. You can
then check to see whether the sentence provides enough information to
understand how it refers to that topic.

A: Tell me about the mission.
B: The information is not useful.

This might make sense generally. "When limiting my comments to the scope
of this mission, the information is not useful."

Other suggested sentences probably make less sense. One of these
suggestions was:

Qu''e' not yIjegh; jagh'e' not yIjegh.

You might be able to piece together the meaning, especially if you're a
native speaker of English, but I think the connection between topics and
verbs is not completely obvious. "I limit my comment to tasks. Never
give up/surrender." "I limit my comment to enemies. Never give
up/surrender." Are you telling enemies not to surrender? Never to give
up or surrender if there are tasks or enemies in the area?

http://www.trimboli.name/