[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: pav

lojmIt tI'wI'nuv lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Tue May 29 08:15:59 PDT 2012

Also, keep in mind that all of Vixis's lines were shot before Okrand was hired as a consultant for ST3, and so they were all spoken in English and then lip-synched at a later date with the Klingon. Kruge's lines were filmed after Okrand was hired, and so were filmed while he was speaking Klingon.

This is why a lot of Vixis's lines involve odd wording, like {rIntaH}, which has never been used by anybody except Vixis (because it gave her Klingon voice something to say while her English lips were moving).

I agree that in this sentence {potlh} has to be a noun. Quite likely, Okrand had it in the vocabulary as a verb and in order to get her lips fitting the syllables, decided to make it a noun, too.

For anyone who has never done this before, rent or purchase ST3 and watch Vixis with the volume turned down. She's saying in English exactly what the subtitles say she's saying in Klingon. Okrand earned whatever he made on that scene many times over. It's clearly the single most challenging thing he did as a translator.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv