[Tlhingan-hol] "Never give up; never surrender"

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Mon May 28 10:09:59 PDT 2012

On 5/26/2012 9:28 PM, ghunchu'wI' wrote:

> On May 26, 2012, at 6:42 PM, David Trimboli<david at trimboli.name>
> wrote:
>
>> It's been a running gag that the line from Galaxy Quest, "Never
>> give up; never surrender," comes out in Klingon as {not yIjegh;
>> not yIjegh}.
>
> A running gag in what context?

In the context of a qep'a', when Galaxy Quest is mentioned, someone will
whip out {not yIjegh; not yIjegh}.

> I've always translated it as {not yIbup; not yIjegh!} Repeating
> {jegh} seems contrived, as it carries the wrong meaning of "give up"
> for the first phrase.

How do you determine that? "Surrender, give up" carries both
connotations to me. Surrendering to the futility of a task or giving up
to an enemy work just as well as surrendering to an enemy or giving up
due to the futility of a task.

Of course repeating {jegh} sounds contrived; that's what makes it funny.

http://www.trimboli.name/