[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: SuD

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon May 21 07:01:31 PDT 2012

> Klingon word:   SuD
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition:     take (a chance)

Used in a sentence:

bISuDrup'a'
Will you take that chance? ST6
(Are you willing to take that chance? [novel])

HaDlu'meH, QuSlu'meH, SuDlu'meH lojmIt Da logh Hop Hut tengchaH. vaj loghDaq lenglaHtaH Humanpu'
space station Deep Space Nine is the gateway for the exploration, intrigue and enterprise that mark the continuation of the human adventure into space... S99

Doq'a' SuvwI'pu'?  ghobe', SuD!
Are warriors red? No, they are green! PK
["... the interpretation I think makes sense rather neatly: a pun on {SuD} (`No, they're risktakers.')" (Nick Nicholas)

  "To win a competition is Qap. (If it's a decisive or particularly gratifying victory, they'd say Qapchu', even though that's a bit redundant..." (HQ 2.4)

  "Note that luj is also used to mean lose (as in "lose at a game"). To say "I lose" is jIluj; to say "I lose in a big way" is jIlujqu' or jIlujchu'." (KGT 165-66)

  "A Klingon may not be good at accepting defeat, but he knows all about taking risks." (Picard, TNG "Ethics")

  Scotty warns Kirk that, "A cranky transporter's a mighty finicky piece of machinery to be gambling your life on." (TOS "The Doomsday Machine")

  ghInaq is a "game that involves tokens and wagers." (KEBH)

Related verbs:

Quj 			play a game
'ov 			compete
ngIl 		dare
Sub 			be brave, be heroic, be bold, be valiant, be intrepid (slang)
yoH 			be brave
jaq 			be bold
pe''egh 		keep score

DATA:  There is a certain degree of random fortune involved. I believe that is why they call it 'gambling'." (TNG "The Royale")

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons