[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon spoken in latest Big Bang Theory?

Terrence Donnelly terrence.donnelly at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 16 07:33:32 PDT 2012

--- On Wed, 5/16/12, Steven Boozer <sboozer at uchicago.edu> wrote:

> De'vID jonpIn:
> > Did anyone catch the last episode?  It's called
> "The Countdown
> > Reflection" and Wolowitz goes to space.  At one
> point, Sheldon speaks
> > Klingon.  He says part of a sentence before
> getting interrupted and is
> > forced to continue in English.  Did anyone catch
> what he said?
> >
> > I think the first word was {DaH} but as soon as he said
> it other
> > characters talked over him.  But he seems to have
> said more than just
> > {DaH}.
>
> I heard the first word as {DaHjaj}.  The closed
> captions were of no help, just something like "Speaks
> Klingon".

I also heard {DaHjaj}. I'd be very surprised if they wrote more than a few words for him, and I doubt it had anything really to do with his speech in English (which did not contain the word "Today", as I recall).

> I did notice a "translator" listed as the credits flashed
> by, but this could have referred to the Russian translations
> in the episode.  (Wolowitz is launched into space on a
> Russian rocket to the International Space Station and there
> was some dialogue with ground control in Kazakhstan.)

What I caught made perfect sense, I just wonder if it was technically accurate.  If so, then I now know that "Blast off!" in Russian is "poshol" (literally "It went!"), which is kind of neat.

-- ter'eS