[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: be'joy'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed May 9 07:48:41 PDT 2012

> Klingon word:   be'joy'
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition:     ritualized torture by women

Appeared in A.C. Crispin's novel "Sarek".

Never used in a Klingon sentence AFAIK.

Cultural notes:

KGT 153:  [{luH}] literally means "yank" and is used in such sentences as {jav luHpu' 'avwI'} ("The guard has caused a prisoner to confess"--literally, "The guard has yanked a six"). Standard words expressing the same notions are {DISmoH} (cause to confess) and {peghHa'moH} (cause to not keep a secret)." (KGT 153)

KGT 55:  Klingon technology has produced two weapons used, as far as is known, only by the Klingons themselves... The second distinctly Klingon weapon is the {QIghpej} [agonizer], a hand-held device that produces excruciating pain when pressed up against an adversary.

Trek notes:

Agonizers are also used in the Mirror Universe along with the agony booth, a means of punishment and torture that will kill at "full duration". (TOS "Mirror, Mirror")

  "I shall torture you to death, one by one." (Kang, TOS "Day of the Dove")

  "They will torture us for our scientific and technical information." (Mara to Kang, TOS "Day of the Dove")

  "Physical discomfort is extremely persuasive." (Adviser Plasus of the cloud city Stratos on Ardana, TOS "The Cloud Minders")

Related words:

{joy'}  	torture (v)
{yu'} 	question, interrogate (v)

--