[Tlhingan-hol] paS (was: Question regarding purpose clauses)

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Fri May 4 09:07:47 PDT 2012

My statement is based primarily on Marc's suggestion that the sentence occurs, but perhaps later than desired. While any English sentence can be interpreted in many ways, in my opinion it seems rather clear that Marc meant late as in "past the deadline" in this statement, or at least that that's a possible interpretation.

Agreed, though, that we don't know that that paS can't mean "occurring late in the day/month/year/[poH of your choice]". It seems a bit strange to me that one would then put the experiencer as the subject rather than the event, but, of course, stranger things have happened ("America, what a country! In your language, fire can burn intransitively. In Soviet Swedish, FIRE burns YOU!").