[Tlhingan-hol] paS (was: Question regarding purpose clauses)

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri May 4 08:47:32 PDT 2012

loghaD:
>> {qaSuchmeH jIpaSqu'.} - Marc Okrand was asked if this could mean
>> something like "I was going to visit you, but was too late", but Marc
>> describes replies thusly:
>> "Perhaps, then, a better English rendition of the Klingon sentence is
>> "In order for me to visit you, I'll be very late."   This suggests that
>> the visit did or will take place (though later, perhaps, than desired),
>> which is not the intended meaning."

De'vID:
> One could come up with situations where being late would be
> beneficial to the act of visiting somebody (for instance, you could be
> late to work because you want to visit a friend on the way), but that's
> clearly not the case here: {jIpaSqu'} states something about how the
> goal is accomplished, but it is not itself the means to an end.
>
> Why not?  It's not that clear to me.  In English, "late" has two
> meanings.
>
> (1) to miss an opportunity, deadline, etc.  Example: "He was late to
> the party, i.e., by the time he arrived it was over"
>
> (2) to take place in the latter part of the day or some other time
> period.  Example: "He went late to the cinema, i.e., the movie had
> several show times from morning to past midnight, and he attended the
> midnight showing"
>
> Now, do we have any evidence that {paS} is restricted to just the first
> meaning?  Otherwise, it's certainly plausible that someone could be
> late to accomplish the purpose of visiting someone (e.g., he's not home
> earlier, or the visitor is otherwise occupied earlier).

{paS} "be late" in canon:

  paS
  He's late. CK

and the three examples from  st.k (1/1998; cf. HQ 7:2:

  jIpaSqu'mo' narghpu' qaSuchmeH 'eb
  I was too late to visit you
  "Because I'm very late, the opportunity to visit you has escaped.

  qaSuch vIneH 'ach narghpu' 'eb. jIpaSqu'
  I was too late to visit you
  "I want to visit you, but the opportunity has escaped. I am very late."

  qaSuchlaHbe'. jIpaSqu' vaj narghpu' 'eb
  I was too late to visit you
  "I cannot visit you. I am very late, thus the opportunity has escaped."

Unfortunately, the antonym {'eq} "be early" is of no help:

  'eq
  She's early. CK

And for comparison, there are the verbs {lum} "postpone, procrastinate":

  bIlum
  You procrastinate. KLS

  lumbe' tlhInganpu'
  Klingons do not procrastinate. TKW

  batlh qelDI' tlhIngan, lumbe'
  A Klingon does not postpone a matter of honor. TKW

{mIm} "delay":

  mImQo'
  Do not delay. (ST5 notes)

{loS} "wait for":

  loS... qIb HeHDaq
  It waits... on the edge of the galaxy S99

  DaH maloS. peghItlh!
  [untranslated] (st.k (8/1996)

{pIH} "expect":

  pIpIH