[Tlhingan-hol] {warjun} {tlher} je

lojmIt tI'wI'nuv lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 11:53:21 PDT 2012

A mono-syllabic verb with a suffix is not a polysyllabic verb. {lo'laH} is not, as it appears, the verb {lo'} meaning "use" plus the suffix {-laH} "ability". nuH vIlo'laH. "I am able to use the weapon." {lo'laH nuH}. "The weapon is useful." It may look and sound alike, but it isn't. {lo'laH nuH vIlo'laH.} "I can use a useful weapon." This polysyllabic adjectival version of the word was probably a mistake that became canon, but now, because it is canon, it's a separate verb.

{HoSghaj} is probably a combination of a noun and verb to form a polysyllabic verb. Likely, they were two words used together so often they just merged.

Thanks for reminding me about {ghIpDIj}, {nughI'} (I remember when this word was invented), and {He'So'}. Also, thank you for making me filter through my database. I found several errors.

We might also have to include {nga'chuq}.

Even so, that's six disyllable verbs out of what I count as 908 non-derivative verbs. That's 902 monosyllabic verbs. That's a pretty strong trend. So, when wanting to make a verb meaning "lumpy" out of Clarence Rutherford's name, there's pressure to call it {tlher} and not {tlherenSe'}, since that would create the first trisyllable verb in the language, and the concept of being lumpy is just not important enough to be that exceptional.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv