[Tlhingan-hol] {warjun} {tlher} je

André Müller esperantist at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 19:08:17 PDT 2012

Okay, but these two are bimorphemic, consisting of two parts, like
derivations or compounds. There are much more polysyllabic verbs of that
kind ({choptaH}, {ghomHa'}, {ghojmoH}, {boqHa''egh} etc., there are quite a
lot). More interesting are the bisyllabic verbs that cannot be derived from
monosyllabic morphemes, I found:

{ghIpDIj} = to court-martial
{nughI'} = to twist one's knuckle into someone's head
{He'So'} = to stink (while the first part means "to smell", the second part
doesn't logically seem to be derivable from {So'} "to hide")

These are all I could find. I might have missed one or two, though.

This also reminds me of Thai, a language in which almost all native
monomorphemic verbs and adjectives are also monosyllabic, while there are
many monomorphemic polysyllabic nouns. A polysyllabic verb that cannot be
split into two meaningful components is usually an indicator for being
borrowed from some other language like Pali, Khmer or Sanskrit, or having
undergone a phonetic process which splitted a consonant cluster up by
inserting an epenthetic vowel and thereby creating another syllable.

- André