[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ngIS

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 15:09:01 PDT 2012

Qov:
> jabbI'ID per vIleghDI', jIjatlh, "mu' vetlh vIghojbe'."  jabbI'ID
vIlaDchoHDI' vIghovbe'bej.
> bIqIDbe'bej'a'?

qatlh qIDlu' 'e' DaQub?  mu' qID Daghov'a'?

tlhIngan Hol mu'na' 'oH 'e' wISovbejbe'.  'oghbe'law' MO 'ej 'olbe'law'.

It's a DeCandidovian Klingon word, not (yet) an Okrandian Klingon word.

Qov:
> Any word on whether this lubricant has its basis in petroleum, graphite,
polyfloridated hydrocarbons or animal oils?

>From "Honor Bound":
"Each grenade was a hollow metal oval, into which they had placed the sand
from the shores of the Prime Village and a small glass bottle containing
{ngIS} — a lubricant used on the disruptor cannons, and which the {Gorkon}
had in plentiful supply.  Throwing the grenade with sufficient force would
break the bottle upon impact with a solid surface — they had been using
B'Oraq's specimen bottles, which were fairly fragile — causing an explosive
chemical reaction with one of the minerals in the sand."

I'm no chemist, and I don't know what kind of lubricant would react
explosively with a mineral found in beach sand.  A cannon lubricant that
explodes under any condition sounds kind of like a bad idea to me.