[Tlhingan-hol] qo''e' tu'bogh pagh - 'ay' cha'maH Hut

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Fri Mar 9 22:41:46 PST 2012

At 20:41 '?????' 3/9/2012, De'vID jonpIn wrote:
>De'vID:
> >> UHURA: rura' pente'!
> >> CHEKOV: qIb Dat {nov lom Daq} ponglu'.
>
>Qov:
> > I read {lom Daq} as morgue or mortuary. I suggest {mol Daq}.
>
>'ach DIp 'oHbe' {mol}'e', qar'a'?

TKD p.95

>De'vID:
> >> SPOCK: jatlh qempa'wI': DuHlaHbe'bogh wIv DabuSHa'chugh, ghaytanHa'
> >> teH ratlhbogh wIv 'e' yIbuSHa'; teHbej.
>
>Qov:
> > I don't like the way buSHa' is used here, the "second person impersonal" is
> > an English thing, I think, and DuH is a better translation than wIv. (Get
> > rid of your English need to use contrasting root words.)  I'd prefer
> > something in the direction of: {DuHlaHbe'bogh DuH qIllu'ta'DI' teHnIS tlhoS
> > DuHlaHbe'bogh ratlhwI'}.
>
>mu' wa'DIch vIwIvpu'bogh 'oH {DuH}'e'.  'ach lugh'a' {DuHlaHbe'bogh
>DuH}?  DuHlaHbe'bogh vay', DuH 'oHtaH'a'?

jIHvaD qay'be'.  loQ tlhoch'eghlaw'mo' qaq.

>De'vID:
> >> SPOCK: woj'a'na' tu'lu'bej.
>
>Qov:
> > woj law'qu'. It wasn't something beyond the ordinary sense of radiation: it
> > was just a lot of it.
>
>But it wasn't just a lot of radiation either, but a "radiation surge".
>  I take this to mean something like a large, concentrated amount of
>radiation.  Maybe {woj yu'egh'a'}?

vImaS.

>Qov:
> > I get caught up finding plotholes and don't manage to critique the Klingon.
> > :-)
>
>There are quite a few plot holes in this movie. :-)

It makes me feel so much better about my story. Also I've been
watching season 1 TNG and I realize I've been paying far too much
attention to plausibility, character consistency and non-obvious plot
mechanisms for a Star Trek story.

I'm doing about right on random hookups and gratuitous female on
female combat, though. (QeS, stay tuned, I hope you won't be disappointed).

- Robyn