[Tlhingan-hol] Gleanings from Monopoly: Klingon Edition (MKE)

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Mar 9 12:03:17 PST 2012

Qov wrote:
> At 09:52, 3/9/2012, Steven Boozer wrote:
>>> qarDaSQa'Daq ruDelya' rop'a' Hergh qengbogh yo' Dabot.
>>> "Intercept Rudellian plague relief convoy to Cardassian Union."
>>
>> qengbogh yo'    convoy (n) [new]
>
> I wouldn't say that {qengbogh yo'} was "convoy," but that yo' could be
> translated "convoy" as well as fleet.  A convoy doesn't have to be
> carrying anything: it's just a group of vehicles travelling together.
>
> "You block a fleet carrying Rudellian plague medicine to the
> Cardassian Union."

I see your point.  AS a former Navy man, a convoy is a group of non-warships (e.g. supply ships, civilian mechantmen, passenger liners, etc.) escorted and protected by a squadron of warships.  A fleet can just as well refer to ALL the ships in a navy, or part of a navy, wherever they are: e.g. the US Fifth Fleet or the Soviet Dal'no-Vostochnyi Flot.  (Kirk once remarked WRT the Enterprise that, "There are only twelve like her in the fleet" [TOS "Tomorrow is Yesterday"]).  A group of ships travelling and acting together is a {nawlogh} (squadron).  FYI:

KGT 51f.:  The Defense Force is subdivided into units known as {yo'} and {nawlogh}, traditionally translated as "fleet" and "squadron", respectively, but the relationship between the two is not straightforward in terms of chain of command. While a {yo'} always consists of more than one {nawlogh}, there are a number of {nawloghmey} that are independent of any association with a {yo'}. Therefore, while a specific {nawlogh} may be under the command of a {yo'}, another {nawlogh} may have the same status as a {yo'} within the overall forces. Accordingly, when dealing with a troop member ({QaS}) or officer ({yaS}) of a ship, to avoid giving offense, one should either find out ahead of time how that ship fits into the hierarchical structure or else carefully avoid making references to other units as superior or inferior.

YMMV.

>>> {HoSHal ghajchugh vay', mI' naghmey tIronmoH.  wa'maHlogh
>>>   boq'egh mI' naghmey; chen qav'ap.  ghajwI'vaD qav'ap yIDIl.} "If
>>> [energy source is] owned, throw dice and pay owner a
>>>   total ten times amount shown."
>>
>> ghajwI'         owner (n) [new]
>
> That's not really new, unless you demand really specific examples
> before you accept a word, but who hadn't used ghajwI' in that sense
> already?

Yep, but not by Okrand with a translation.

> ghaj + -wI' = one who owns = owner is TKD1 stuff.

{ghaj} "have, possess" - not "own", which isn't necessarily the same thing.  I recall this being heatedly discusses some years ago.

>>> {Qo'noS romuluS je boSuqlaH. vabDot tera' Qejbogh DIvI'
>>>  ram boSuqlaH.}
>>> "Kronos, Romulus and even the puny Federation's precious
>>>  Earth, are all up for grabs."
>>
>> vabDot     [something precious??] (n?) [new]

Felix has suggested {vabDot} is an adverbial meaning "even, including" which I admit makes better sense.  BTW, there's gotta be a pun here!

>> Qej        [???] (v) [new]
>
> Something like "prize, hold to be precious"   -- Qeb Qejbej Smeagol!

Cf. {lo'laH} "be valuable" and {wagh} "be expensive".

>>> {wo' ngay' bochoqmeH bowIvlu'pu'!}
>>> "You have been chosen to preserve the glory of the Empire!"
>>
>> ngay'                   glory (n) [new]
>
> Ooh, I haven't had that card yet. (Yeah, I decided it was cheating to
> read them all in advance).

Let the discussion of {batlh} 'honor" vs. {ngay'} "glory" begin!

>>> {wa' tlhIngan QaS vey}
>>>  "one pack of Klingon forces"
>>
>> vey       pack (of cards) (n)  [new]
>
> I hope it's more general than "pack of cards."  I was thinking
> something like "set."

Also seen in:

  boSwI'vaD veyvam le' chenmoHlu'
  Collector's Edition.  (MKE)

  veymey puS neH chenmoHlu'pu'
  Limited Edition. ("Only a few sets have been made.") MKE

{vey} is different from {'aplo'} "enclosed container (e.g. cassette, case, box, etc.)".  E.g.

  wab qoSta' 'aplo'
  cassette (audiotape), audiocassette (TNK)

  'ul 'aplo'mey
  batteries (TNK)

  ngaS 'aplo'
  contents (MKE)

IOW you can put one or more {veymey} into a {'aplo'}.

>> rIQ       be damaged (v)  [extension]
>
> I like rIQ confirmed meaning both "be damaged" and "be injured"
> because that makes QIH perfectly valid for the noun "wound."

Note also {QIH} "damage, cause damage".

>>> {DIvI' rojmab qep ghanglu' 'e' nIDlu', 'ach taH qep.} "Despite
>>> efforts to halt them, peace talks with Federation continue."
>>
>> qep                     talks (n) [extension]
>
> I take that more as English having multiple words to translate the
> same concept, and the English idiom being "peace talk" rather than
> "peace meeting" (I wonder why) so the English is smoothed that way.
> So long as no one starts to think that because it can mean "talk" as
> in peace talk it could mean talk as in language or speech. It's still
> a meeting.

Again, just dotting the I's and crossing the T's.

>>> {jorwI'mey ghaymo' qarDaSnganpu', Hegh SuvwI'pu'lI' law'
>>>   'ej rIQ SuvwI'pu'lI' law'}
>>> "Suffer major losses after Cardassian bombing campaign."
>
>> jorwI'mey ghay  bomb ("spray explosives") (v) [new phrase]
>
> It confirms that the thing sprayed is the object of the verb. vaj 'Iw
> ghay 'aD'a'. ghaybe' 'Iw.

Also seen in {bIQ ghaywI' pa'} "shower (room)" TNK.

>>> {Quj wa'DIch MONOPOLY Huch nav qa' tlhIngan QaS} "Klingon forces
>>> replace original MONOPOLY bills"
>>
>> Huch nav     bill ("paper money} [new phrase]
>
> banknote, for those from countries where a bill is what you need the
> banknote to pay!

Suggesting *{Huch baS} coin ("metal money") - or stips, slips, etc. of latinum in Trek??

>>> {'echletHom Dopvam yIcha'}
>>> "card must be turned this side up"
>>
>> 'echletHom    card (n) [new]
>
> Really? Is this where we finally got it for reals?  We had this leaked
> so long ago.

  Chance 'echletHommey Community Chest 'echletHommey je qa'
   quv 'echletHommey vIq 'echletHommey je
  COMBAT and HONOR cards replace Chance and Community Chest
   cards. MKE

  cha'maH chorgh yer ghajwI' chaw' 'echletHommey
  28 Title Deed cards. MKE

  wa'maH jav quv 'echletHommey
  16 COMBAT cards. MKE

Compare {'echlet}  board:

  Quj 'echlet
  game board. MKE

> Thanks for initiating this opportunity to discuss the new words.
>
> - Qov

I only now examined several unread backlog of posts and saw that a few of these had already been discussed a bit.  I just hadn't seen the discussion.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons