[Tlhingan-hol] Gleanings from Monopoly: Klingon Edition (MKE)

Qov robyn at flyingstart.ca
Fri Mar 9 11:08:02 PST 2012

At 09:52 '?????' 3/9/2012, Steven Boozer wrote:
> > qarDaSQa'Daq ruDelya' rop'a' Hergh qengbogh yo' Dabot.
> > "Intercept Rudellian plague relief convoy to Cardassian Union."
>
>qengbogh yo'    convoy (n) [new]

I wouldn't say that {qengbogh yo'} was "convoy," but that yo' could
be translated "convoy" as well as fleet.  A convoy doesn't have to be
carrying anything: it's just a group of vehicles travelling together.

"You block a fleet carrying Rudellian plague medicine to the Cardassian Union."

> > {HoSHal ghajchugh vay', mI' naghmey tIronmoH.  wa'maHlogh
> >   boq'egh mI' naghmey; chen qav'ap.  ghajwI'vaD qav'ap yIDIl.}
> > "If [energy source is] owned, throw dice and pay owner a
> >   total ten times amount shown."
>
>ghajwI'         owner (n) [new]

That's not really new, unless you demand really specific examples
before you accept a word, but who hadn't used ghajwI' in that sense already?

ghaj + -wI' = one who owns = owner is TKD1 stuff.

>rIt             summon (v)  [new]

Love it, so useful. I also love that it's similar enough to rI' that
I can imagine a common etymology.

>SIbI'Ha'                after a delay, at length, eventually ?? (adv) [new]
>

> > {Qo'noS romuluS je boSuqlaH. vabDot tera' Qejbogh DIvI' ram boSuqlaH.}
> > "Kronos, Romulus and even the puny Federation's precious Earth, are
> > all up for grabs."
>
>vabDot          [something precious??] (n?) [new]
>Qej                     [???] (v) [new]

Something like "prize, hold to be precious"   -- Qeb Qejbej Smeagol!

> > {wo' ngay' bochoqmeH bowIvlu'pu'!}
> > "You have been chosen to preserve the glory of the Empire!"
>
>ngay'                   glory (n) [new]

Ooh, I haven't had that card yet. (Yeah, I decided it was cheating to
read them all in advance).

> > {wa' tlhIngan QaS vey}
> >  "one pack of Klingon forces"
>
>vey                     pack (of cards) (n)  [new]

I hope it's more general than "pack of cards."  I was thinking
something like "set."

>rIQ                     be damaged (v)  [extension]

I like rIQ confirmed meaning both "be damaged" and "be injured"
because that makes QIH perfectly valid for the noun "wound."

> > {DIvI' rojmab qep ghanglu' 'e' nIDlu', 'ach taH qep.}
> > "Despite efforts to halt them, peace talks with Federation continue."
>
>qep                     talks (n) [extension]

I take that more as English having multiple words to translate the
same concept, and the English idiom being "peace talk" rather than
"peace meeting" (I wonder why) so the English is smoothed that way.
So long as no one starts to think that because it can mean "talk" as
in peace talk it could mean talk as in language or speech. It's still
a meeting.

> > {jorwI'mey ghaymo' qarDaSnganpu', Hegh SuvwI'pu'lI' law'
> >   'ej rIQ SuvwI'pu'lI' law'}
> > "Suffer major losses after Cardassian bombing campaign."

>jorwI'mey ghay  bomb ("spray explosives") (v) [new phrase]

It confirms that the thing sprayed is the object of the verb. vaj 'Iw
ghay 'aD'a'. ghaybe' 'Iw.

> > {ngIq gholvo' wa'maH QaS yItlhap.}
> > "Collect 10 forces from every player."
>
>ghol                    player (n)  [extension]

I would far rather say that Klingons refer to fellow players in a
game as opponents, than say that ghol meant player.  I'm feeling this
way about a lot of the words and only stating it for a couple. I
don't think there is anything wrong with cataloguing these uses and
extensions, but I'd just rather think of it as a beauty challenge and
taking forces from your opponents.

> > {Quj wa'DIch MONOPOLY Huch nav qa' tlhIngan QaS}
> > "Klingon forces replace original MONOPOLY bills"
>
>Huch nav                bill ("paper money} [new phrase]

banknote, for those from countries where a bill is what you need the
banknote to pay!

> > {'echletHom Dopvam yIcha'}
> > "card must be turned this side up"
>
>'echletHom              card (n)  [new]

Really? Is this where we finally got it for reals?  We had this
leaked so long ago.

Thanks for initiating this opportunity to discuss the new words.

- Qov