[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: lu

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Mar 8 08:11:45 PST 2012

> Klingon word:   lu
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition:     fall (suffer loss of status)

As used in canon:

  lu qeng
  "The Fall of Kang" (epic poem by G'trok) KGT

  lu joHwI'
  My Lord falls from power. KGT

Language notes:

KGT 196f.:  Because there are two forms of the word meaning "Yes, I will" -  {lu'} and {luq} - no confusion can result from mispronouncing {'} as {q}. On the other hand, if {'} is left off entirely and the word is pronounced {lu}, it may be taken to be the verb {lu}, meaning "fall (from power)", a status one probably does not want to attribute to someone in a position to give orders or grant requests.

Related verbs:

gheS 		assume duties of, take on responsibilities
Sugh 		install (in office)
cho' 		succeed (to authority)
paj 		resign
Son 		relieve

pum  		fall
chagh 	drop
ghIr 		descend
Dej 		collapse

Related nouns:

cho' 		succession
woQ 		authority, political power
Ser 		progress

Just speculating...

For "Down with [NAME]!" how about *{lujaj [pong]!}?

Terran notes:

"I felt like anything rather than rejoicing at the DOWNFALL of a foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse."
 (Ulysses S. Grant on the surrender of Robert E. Lee at Appomatox)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons