[Tlhingan-hol] Facebook Translation Project [FTP]: weekdays

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Sun Mar 4 09:27:35 PST 2012

> I'm really sorry for this question to evoke such a big discussion.

QoS vay' net poQ 'e' vIQubbe', 'ach poQlu'chugh, jIQoS jIH'e' :P

> I only wanted to find the general opinion on how to solve the problem,
> and I should not have done so, since I feel the answer has been stated
> many years ago in the KLI's accepted but not often read FAQ:

While I do not wish to re-ignite the previous discussion (and there's now a separate mail thread for that, anyway), I just wanted to say that I disagree with the statement "I should not have done so". It's a valid question, and it's good that you wanted to get more people's opinions on it.

Also, the answers to which you refer - while well-written and by skilled and well-respected jatlhwI'pu' - are both around 15 years old, and I'm sure that their authors never intended them to be considered beyond questioning.

>> Untranslated from what? German? English? Portuguese? I know you mean
>> English, but I support stepping away from the imperialism of English,
> Yes, of course I mean English.
> [reasons]

I fall a bit on both sides of this argument. I don't much like the use of English used as a substitute for Klingon for aesthetic reasons, but on the other hand, if you wish to make yourself understood (which is I guess is the whole reason against using {jaj wa'} to mean Sunday "mandated" by canon, or calling days *maSjaj and *veSjaj and what have you), then the practical advantages to using English cannot be denied.

To leave on a lighter note:

> Garfield hates Mondays ;-)

Perhaps he'd like it more if it were called "smileday"? #mu'qIDveS