[Tlhingan-hol] Facebook Translation Project [FTP]: weekdays

Lieven Litaer lieven.litaer at web.de
Sun Mar 4 08:54:07 PST 2012

jaj 02.03.2012 20:25, ghItlh ghunchu'wI' 'utlh:
> Perhaps it was a mistake for this particular issue to have been
> brought up on this particular forum, but I think it's appropriate for
> the question to be posed to as many skilled and/or longtime speakers
> as possible.

I'm really sorry for this question to evoke such a big discussion.

I only wanted to find the general opinion on how to solve the problem,
and I should not have done so, since I feel the answer has been stated
many years ago in the KLI's accepted but not often read FAQ:

2.3 How do I translate "Bubba" (or any name) into Klingon?
http://www.speers.nu/Holtej/klingon/faq.htm#2.3

2.7 How do I use words like "asparagus" when writing Klingon?
http://www.speers.nu/Holtej/klingon/faq.htm#2.7

jaj 02.03.2012 20:51, ghItlh Qov:
 > Untranslated from what? German? English? Portuguese? I know you mean
 > English, but I support stepping away from the imperialism of English,

Yes, of course I mean English.

The first reason is that we are translating Facebook from English, so
everything that has no been translated remains english. This creates
automated phrases like "Robyn likes your mIllogh" during the translation
process.

Next, I would use English anyway, just because it IS international and
everyone does understand this, more or less.

And yes, me too, I like to have new words, and I do wish to create new
words or somebody to create them, but all of us here have accepted "the
game" that only Maltz will give us new words. Perhaps things will change
in this way, or Maltz might move to Lawrence's basement or find a new
rule for the qolqoS of the KLI to create words.

There's no need to discuss that here though.

Lieven.