[Tlhingan-hol] KLI CanonHom (was: Facebook Translation Project [FTP]: weekdays)

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Sat Mar 3 01:23:49 PST 2012

> But is that the goal? Why translate anything into Klingon if the goal is
> to communicate clearly with the public?
>
> Clear communication is not the reason we make studying Klingon our
> hobby. Yes, you want to communicate clearly when you use Klingon, but if
> the goal were simply clear communication, you'd do better to use
> English, which everyone on this list (presumably) speaks. Or some other
> natural language you have in common.

When doing a translation for something that you want people to use, clear and concise communication is indeed something that I feel should be valued. That was, after all, the purpose of the thread that spawned this one.

Clear communication may not be the main reason we study Klingon - far from it - but if we want to improve our ability to communicate in Klingon, I feel that a part of that is to facilitate clear and concise communication, and my proposal is one way that I feel that could move us in that direction.
Sure, you can use English for that, but that's boring, and for me, personally, it breaks the sense of immersion that I very much enjoy.