[Tlhingan-hol] KLI CanonHom (was: Facebook Translation Project [FTP]: weekdays)

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Fri Mar 2 12:38:46 PST 2012

On 2 Mar 2012, at 17:54, Terrence Donnelly wrote:

> I'd just like to point out that, since pIqaD was used on the Klingon Monopoly set, with the fandom-derived mappings, it arguably is canon now.

And if you folks ever give up the Latin orthography and use the pIqaD instead, there'd be some chance of getting it encoded in the UCS. :-)

But there seems little chance that you will. {{:-(

(Of course I still think that Mark Okrand's "capital-letters-will-help-the-actors" orthography is well past its sell-by date, however useful it was in the early 1980s. All one would have to do would be to substitute x for Q and, with the help of an occasional colon to distinguish -gh- (-g:h-) from -gH- at morpheme boundaries, one could enjoy Klingon with normal casing, and sorting and searching, behaviour. In Latin script, anyway. I'm aware that my view on this is in the minority, but still it is quite rational.)

Michael Everson,
who believes that the syllable "lIl" should mean 'difficult to discern; illegible' in Klingon.