[Tlhingan-hol] KLI CanonHom (was: Facebook Translation Project [FTP]: weekdays)

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Fri Mar 2 09:45:14 PST 2012

> (And if you really need such a standard, then I guarantee that the words
> on that list will *not* be easily understandable by someone not using
> the list.)

I imagine a large number of the terms would be fairly easy to understand, because they'd either be descriptive (like <muchDaq> and <DawI' yaH>, which are used in Hamlet to mean "stage" (though I'm not sure such words would be on the list, since it's nowhere near a Human-exclusive concept)), and klingonifications of fairly well-known words (such as 'epIl = apple, banan naH = banana).

You're right, however, that there would probably be many exceptions (<tera' na'ran'a'>=grapefruit being an example of one I wouldn't have guessed if I didn't have the EuroTalk DVD, a lot of people would probably have had trouble with <SuwomIy>=Finland and <barat>=India). Assuming there's any interest at all, it would probably be best to start small, see if it catches on, and then expand if it does.

> Ah, I see. You mean a standard instead of a prescription.
>
> Well, I can't stop you, but I will cordially ignore and boycott any such
> standard. :)

NOBODY expects the canonHom inquisition!