[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: chIp

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Fri Jun 29 07:19:36 PDT 2012

ghItlhta' Voragh:
> I agree.  If it were, the definition would have been "cut hair" not "cut (hair)".
> I think Okrand added "(hair)" to distinguish {chIp} from the more general verb
> {pe'} "cut".

I've taken it to mean something more like "If the verb takes an object, it should be some form of hair. For example, {jIb}, {rol} or {veD}." Sort of the way parentheses are used to distinguish between the meaning of "follow" for <ghoS> = "follow (a course)", <pab> = "follow (rules)" and <tlha'> = "follow".

Like SuStel, I think it might be to signify that it still makes sense to use this verb with an object: <jIbDaj chIplI'> means "He's cutting her hair.", not "He's cutting hair her hair."
If I had a limited amount of space and had to give you a translation of the French word "coiffer" or the Swedish word "frisera", I might very well provide it as "cut (someone's) hair", to signify that (someone) is the object.

Also, like SuStel:

> I think the use of parentheses is inconsistent enough that you can't
> rely on it too closely.

vItmo' vIghItlhqa'ta'. {Quoted for truth.}

[[Off-topic: If I ever become an English teacher, I must remember to use haircuts as an example of the hazards of direct translations.

English: "I'm getting my hair cut, tonight."
Swedish: "Jag ska klippa mig ikväll."