[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: chIp

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Fri Jun 29 07:01:11 PDT 2012

On 6/29/2012 9:42 AM, Steven Boozer wrote:

> ghunchu'wI':
>> It might not even be stretching the meaning at all. {chIp} doesn't
>> actually *include* the hair idea. That's given in parentheses as
>> an example of the kind of object it can have, not as the only one
>> possible. I'd accept that {chIp} alone does *imply* hair, based on
>> the {ghuS} example, but I wouldn't expect any verb to have its
>> object restricted to a specific noun.
>
> I agree.  If it were, the definition would have been "cut hair" not
> "cut (hair)".  I think Okrand added "(hair)" to distinguish {chIp}
> from the more general verb {pe'} "cut".

I think the use of parentheses is inconsistent enough that you can't
rely on it too closely.

Even if {chIp} means only cutting hair, it still probably takes some
noun referring to hair as its object, in which case a translation of
"cut hair" instead of "cut (hair)" might imply that the object is built
in and not to be repeated.

{ghuS}, for instance, is translated as "be prepared, ready (to launch)"
and "be prepared to launch or project (something)."

http://www.trimboli.name/