[Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay' cha'vatlh cha'maH cha': 'omwI'pu'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Jun 25 12:47:29 PDT 2012

Qov:
> jatlh ghutar, "Hu'tegh! qImyal QaS le' ghaH.[261]
>
> ----
> [261] Still can't quite believe I'm supposed to use ghaH for two
>       guys just because troops is grammatically singular. Grumble.

KGT 49f.:  The word {mangpu'} is seldom used, but it is not ungrammatical. It carries with it the notion that there are individuals (more than one {mang}) making up the group; {negh} focuses on the group as a unit. A similar word, {QaS}, normally translated "troops", is used in almost the same way as {negh}, but it excludes officers.

If {mangpu'} is grammatical, then {qImyal QaS le' tlhIH [cha' mangpu''e']} "They [the two (individual) soldiers] are K'Myal's special troops" should also work.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons