[Tlhingan-hol] Time and Type 7 verb suffixes

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Sun Jun 17 08:37:33 PDT 2012

On 6/17/2012 10:50 AM, ghunchu'wI' wrote:
> On Jun 17, 2012, at 5:16 AM, "De'vID" <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
> <mailto:de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> ghunchu'wI':
>> > I can think of one immediately: {nughoS jagh} from the Conversational
>> > Klingon battle vignette.
>>
>> I don't see this as a counterexample at all.
>>
> You're begging the question.
>
> The canonical translation is "The enemy is approaching." You have to
> ignore that in order to dismiss it as exactly the kind of counterexample
> that was requested.

That's probably because it's the most natural-sounding English
translation available. As we know, back-translations often fail to
resemble the originals whence they came.

A "canonical translation" simply means it's the translation that appears
in the book; it doesn't mean that anything in an English translation
that includes a present participle must have come from a Klingon
continuous suffix.

Hang on. Where does the "canonical translation" "the enemy is
approaching" appear? Not the start of Conversational Klingon; that has
no "canonical" transcript I'm aware of.

http://www.trimboli.name/