[Tlhingan-hol] Time and Type 7 verb suffixes

André Müller esperantist at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 06:43:16 PDT 2012

David,
In linguistics it's also a common practice to make a difference between
language-specific terminology and "global" terminology. In many grammatical
descriptions, linguists distinguish them by labeling language-specific
categories with capital letters. For instance, the Latin Ablative case
works different from the Klingon Ablative case ({-vo'}), because the Latin
Ablative has a wider use (more functions). Both Ablatives encompass the
globally defined function of an (uncapitalized!) ablative, meaning the
movement away from something.

Similarly, the Perfective aspect in Russian works differently from the
Perfective aspect marker (了) in Chinese, although both encompass the global
definition of "perfective aspect". It's now quite common to make this
distinction between capitalized and non-capitalized terms, but not everyone
does that. And it might not have been as wide-spread decades ago when the
TKD was written.

So, David, please don't assume that just because a marker is labeled
"perfective" in a grammar of Klingon, it automatically has to work EXACTLY
like the theoretical cross-language description of a perfective aspect, let
alone like the perfective in any natural language such as Chinese, Russian
or English (which doesn't have a stand-alone perfective, as we know).
I speak Chinese, but if I were to apply the same rules I use for the
(capitalized!) Perfective in Chinese also for the marker {-pu'} in Klingon,
both parties of your discussion would disagree with a lot of sentences I'm
writing.

pItlh.
- André