[Tlhingan-hol] Fwd: Time and Type 7 verb suffixes

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Thu Jun 7 08:23:12 PDT 2012

I found it interesting that Marc in TKD says that aspectless verbs might be translated with simple present or as future, but doesn't say that they might be translated as past. I did find one that he did translate with past, Hoch nuH Daqel'a' - did you consider every weapon?

I also can't find any canonical sentences of the form "[Timestamp in the past] [verb][no aspect suffix]." Evidence against includes, QI'tomerDaq Heghpu' Hoch (in the English translation at least, QI'tomer is being used as a past event not a place).

narghbe'chugh SuvwI' qa' taH may' is translated "if the warrior's spirit has not escaped -- present perfect tense -- even though it's aspectless in Klingon. Not sure what the grammatical difference is between that and nuHlIj DawIvpu', vaj yISuv.

I started to go through the Skybox cards in search of a sentence like that, (they're on qurgh's site) but I kept getting distracted by the random pIqaD and by things like Hub'eghrupHa'.

Does Marc ever use an aspectless verb with a clearly past timestamp?

- Qov

Begin forwarded message: