[Tlhingan-hol] muD Duj SIrgh'a'

lojmIt tI'wI'nuv lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 14:08:55 PDT 2012

On Jun 5, 2012, at 3:36 PM, Robyn Stewart wrote:

> At 13:01 '?????' 6/5/2012, you wrote:
>
>> pItlh
>> lojmIt tI'wI'nuv
>
> qatlh reH QIn DataghDI' pItlh bIjatlh?  loQ Dochlaw'.

bItlhaQ. bong jIQIppu'. ghaytan jIQIpqa'. If you can't make mistakes, you can't make anything.

>> On Jun 5, 2012, at 1:10 AM, Robyn Stewart wrote:
>> pa' vay'vaD wa' le'bogh muDDuj mach noblu'. SochmaH cha' ben muDDujvam chenmoHlu'.
>>
>> Dujvam vIneH.
>
> neHmo' Hoch, wagh. chaq rurwI' DachenmoHlaH.

muDDuj vIchenchoHlaHmoHchugh, rurbe'bej Dujvam. Dujvam vISuqchugh, puvmeH jIHaD 'ej 'orwI' chaw' vISuq. loQ jIngongmeH vIlo', muDDuj pImqu' vIchenmoHmeH ghIq J-wej vIngev. chaq RV wa'maH cha' vISuq pagh latlh vI'ogh. muDDuj vI'oghbogh vInajtaH.

It's really hard to describe. Imagine a Blackbird (the now-obsolete, Mach 3 reconnaissance plane) with chines on the fuselage. Remove the engines and extend the wings just a tad. Bend the chines downward (front to back) along a 15 degree arc of a cycloid to make the fuselage act as an airfoil. The main landing gear retract into this fuselage farther back than one would typically expect. Where you would expect a nose wheel, put a strut connecting a canard to the fuselage with a nose wheel that sticks below the canard's center. The nose wheel would take a significant portion of the weight of the aircraft, so it would have to be more substantial than typical examples in its weight class and it would have to be steerable. Sweep the canard's wingtips back and up until they join with the center (both front/back and vertical center) wing tip and have that sweep continue up, then in and back to form a rear/high wing mounted on a vertical stabilizer. Put a nacelle at the center of this rear/high wing and put an engine in it with a pusher prop. The rear wing is essentially an oversized, reverse-swept horizontal stabilizer in appearance, though it is designed for lift, not for holding the tail down.

Pitch stability comes from making the canard have less surface area, but a higher angle of attack than the rear wing, so that it is more reactive to changes in air speed (proportionately more lift at higher speeds and less lift at lower speeds). It also stalls first when the aircraft is at high angle of attack. The middle wing is also middle in terms of surface area and angle of attack. The larger, flatter rear wing provides the tail feathers of the arrow in case of a stall, so that it recovers nose down, as it should.

The rudders are actually air brakes along those diagonal sweeps connecting the three wings. They control yaw by creating drag on the wingtips, and they can be deployed together to act as a spoiler for landing. There are also front/rear rudders so that the pilot can control sliding sideways without yawing or rolling, in order to counteract crosswinds more calmly. It's a second joystick. I've worked out the controls... though it could also be done with split rudder pedals. Press both right pedals to yaw right. Press the right half of each pair to slide right. Press both pedals to increase drag while landing.

Front and rear elevators act inverse for pitch, together for flaps/spoilers. Mid wing has full-length flapperons.

The connected wingtips give structural strength to the triplane without the usual drag of struts and cables, and the joined wingtips would nearly eliminate wingtip vortexes and their associated drag. It would fly fast and clean, which is why it needs spoilers to land. The wings would, like any triplane, be stubby, since there would be LOTS of surface area, even with short wings, and since the airframe supports itself and has lift front, middle and rear, it would be far less vulnerable to CG issues. Stall recovery does not rely on CG at all. That big, rear wing does not want to lead the fuselage backwards, and at any other angle, it wants to be at the back of the motion; the last thing to fall. Tumble it anywhere, it comes out nose down, then the canard pulls up as soon as it has enough air speed. The pilot could die and this aircraft would land bottom side down (albeit in the woods or the ocean). (All three wings have dihedral, though it is most pronounced in the canard.)

It would be a beautiful object, if it could exist and would give the pilot levels of control for landing and taking off that don't currently exist by conventional designs. But it's a poor man's dream, and most likely will remain so.

And so long as I don't build it, it works and it doesn't cost money, except for an occasional sketchpad and some negligible disk space.

And it's one looooong way from being a C3 Cub.

>> Dujvam chovnatlh Delbogh paqmey vIlaDta'. J-wej *qab* 'oH. QIt puv. nIn yap Hutlhmo' Hop ghoSlaHbe'.
>>
>> wa' 'orwI' wa' raQpo' qenglaH Dujvam. tlhop quSDaq ba' wa'. 'emDaq ba'nIS latlh. tlhopDaq 'ughmo' QuQ nIn je, nIteb puvchugh 'orwI', 'emDaq ba'nIS.
>>
>> yav Hotmo' tlhuQ, javDaq lengtaHvIS Dujvam, tlhopDaq leghlaHbe' 'orwI', vaj DopDaq bejnIStaH 'ej tlhe'nIStaH. (DernIStaH.) SaqtaHvIS Qob. SaqHa'taHvIS Qob.
>>
>> bISaqtaHvIS, HeDon boHutlhchugh SuS SoH je, Qobqu' ghu'. tlhopDaq rutlh'a'mey Sum law', muD Duj tlham botlh Sum puS. SaqmeH HeDaq Duj ghIch DaQeqchugh, DopDaq DulengmoH SuS. ghor HotDI' rutlh'a'mey, DopDaq muDDuj luH rutlh'a'mey. DopDaq QeqchoH muDDuj. ronqu' muDDuj. Qaw''egh muDDuj. meQ. Hegh 'orwI'. Do'Ha'.
>>
>> vaj HeDon DaghoStaHmeH DaronnIS, 'ach HeDonDaq DaQeqmeH jaS DaDernIS. "Intentionally uncoordinated flight" 'oH. poSDaq DarontaHvIS, nIHDaq DaDertaH pagh nIHDaq DarontaHvIS, poSDaq DaDernIS.
>
> SaqtaHvIS, SuS Donbe'chugh DujwIj mIwvetlh vIlo'nIS je jIH 'ach 'ughmo' DujwIj SIghqu'be' HochHom SuS Do, 'ej 'etDaq rutlh wejDich tu'lu'mo', pupbe'chugh qaSbe' lot.

ghIch rutlh ghajmo', tlhopDaq muDDuj tlham botlh Sum law' rutlh'a'mey Sum puS. ghor HotDI' rutlh'a'mey, tlhopDaq QeqmeH ghIch luH rutlhmey. Qob nup.

Tail draggers ground loop, unless you are perfectly careful every time. Tricycles generally don't, unless you do something remarkably stupid. Tricycle pilots can check their email once the wheels touch down. Tail draggers fly until the plane stops and the wind dies down, and they keep ready to jump back in the seat, grab the stick and stomp the rudders until the wheels are chocked and the wings are tied down (or until the hanger doors are closed). Every wind grabs the tail.

On the ground, tail draggers live in conflict between the motion of the Earth and the motion of the air. Tricycles spend a fraction of a second transitioning, and then they are creatures of the Earth and the air is just air.

Tail draggers are still in the air while the wheels are on the ground.

That's why you need that special note on your license to fly one. It says, "I fly fearlessly, but I land on adrenalin."

>> 'ach Dujvam vIneHchu'. muD Duj vIje'meH Huch yap vIHutlh. 'ach munobchugh.
>>
>> jIQapchugh, Light Sport Aircraft chaw' le' vIHevmeH vIghojlu'moH 'ej jIDIlnISbe'.
>
> yIchaw' ghIq J-wej ghajbogh qanwI' yISam. puv qanwI' 'e' tuchDI' Qel pIj qoch poQ 'orwI' qan. mubmo' chaw'lIj, DatlhejtaHvIS puvlaH qanwI'. 'ej Duvoqchugh DapuvlaH je.

be'nal vIghaj. vaj poH vIHutlh.

J-wej vISuqchugh, jIghIQtaHvIS jIHaDlaH 'ej nom chaw' vISuqlaH. poH vIHutlhbogh vIpoQbe'.

> - Qov

DaH, pItlh.

lojmIt tI'wI'nuv