[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: teH

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Mon Jul 30 14:40:48 PDT 2012

>AFAIK only used once by Okrand in Shakespeare's Sonnet 116:
>
> parmaq choH pagh teHqu', choH tu'DI' lajDaj.
> Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds

Technically, as far as we are aware, it was either used by Okrand, or written by Okrand's friend and sort of approved by Okrand.

Anyhow, it's an interesting choice of words; I would be very careful about using <teH> to refer to anything but statements. However, we see a similar use in the paq'batlh:

naDev Sughompu'
'ej Qo'noS SuvwI'pu' Hem tlhIH
qeylIS tIghmey'e'
DaH tIQoy
teH tIghmey
'ej bIH bolIjlaHbe'

"Hear now,
All of you here,
Proud warriors of Kronos
The ways of Kahless,
For they are true
And unforgettable."

[paq'yav, lut cherlu' ("Ground book, prologue"), stanzas 1-2]